We all know:
Black hair of African origin is very different from other hair types out there.
The Internet keeps overflowing with hairstyles for women with the perfect straight or wavy hair but fails to address the black women and the woes they face with their hair types.
We understand that black women need separate hair advice based on their skin color, face shape and hair types and we are here to address the issue.
AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR TYPE
The curls range anywhere from wavy to kinky coils. Which makes a lot of hairstyles for straight-ish hair, not applicable for the black woman.
This however does mean that the African American woman needs to compromise on her style…
…Not at all. There are plenty of hairstyles that look brilliant on black woman, you just need to learn how to style them in a way that looks good on your face and can work for your hair type.
1. BOX BRAIDS IS A SIGNATURE BLACK WOMAN HAIRSTYLE
Box braids, also known as Ghana braids, is a braid look popularized & worn by black women for centuries now.
If you have long hair or natural hair, you can always get them into box braids. Box braids have made a comeback in the last couple of years and it’s time you join the trend as well.
|Box braids can be really versatile|
2. STYLISH SHORT HAIRSTYLES FOR A POWERFUL NEW LOOK
Some black women can never cut their hair and it still won’t budge past shoulder length. Whereas some black women have even shorter hair.
Black hair recoils within itself which gives an illusion of short hair, but in reality, the length of the hair is very long.
Regardless, of whether your hair is naturally short or if you get it cut short regularly, you should try out some short hairstyles for some fun new change.
4. COLORED HAIRSTYLES LOOKS REALLY GOOD ON BLACK HAIR
Black hair accepts color really well. And with the right shade based on your skin tone, it can look really flattering as well.
5. PROUDLY FLAUNT YOUR NATURAL HAIRSTYLES
More and more women are choosing to not manipulate their hair using chemical & heat treatments.
The Natural hair movement is on the rise over the years and you can so many black women on and off the screen wear their natural hair.
It’s about time you embrace your naturally beautiful hair.
6. YOU CAN WEAR REGULAR SIMPLE BRAIDS TOO
Sure, box braids look good but so do regular braids. Regular braids give you a ton of options when it comes to styles and suit black women pretty well too.
7. BOB HAIRCUTS FOR THE STYLISH BLACK LADY
They are particularly helpful to those with rounder faces, which is the most common face in Black women.
The Bob not only looks stylish, but makes round face shape look more rounder by making it look thinner & longer. The sharp angled cuts are a bonus and make up for a great look overall.
9. MAKE WEAVE HAIRSTYLES A PART OF YOUR ARSENAL
Weave give you the freedom to move away from your regular hairstyles & play around a bit. Every black girl needs to know how to rock a weave hairstyle.
10. UPDOS LOOK FABULOUS. PERIOD.
And whoever says that black hair can’t be put up in an updo…
…well they are simply wrong.
12. AND SO DO LONG BLACK HAIRSTYLES
Getting thick curly hair to grow long is a real struggle.
But if you’ve dealt with the hard part, have long hair and are wondering how you should style them, then wear them long and natural without a second doubt.
You can let it all down long, rock an afro, braid it or wear any other long hairstyle. Don’t feel shy to rock long glorious looking hair.
13. FLAUNT YOUR AFRO
If there is one hairstyle that just screams ‘black girl hairstyle’, it would be the afro.
Afros have always been an important part of the black culture and will continue to do so for years to come.
If you’ve never had an afro yet, it’s about time you gave it a try.
15. THIN BOX BRAIDS
16. SHORT STRAIGHT BOB HAIR LOOKING ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS
17. LOW HANGING STRAIGHT HAIR BUN WITH BEAUTIFUL ACCESSORY.
Another great straight hair hairstyle for black women, proving that straight hair can look just as good as curly hair on black women.
18. SHORT HAIR TURNED INTO A LOOK GOOD ENOUGH TO BE WORN ON A RED CARPET
19. BLONDE HIGHLIGHTS
Everyone from Beyonce to your girl-next-door is wearing blonde highlights and oh so well. Dar goldenish blonde highlights really compliment black hair and skin color really well.
20. RIHANNA WITH SOME SHORT SIDE PARTED HAIR. REALLY ACCENTUATES THE FACE AND ACCESSORIES.
21. SHOULDER LENGTH BOB WITH SOME SMOOTH SIDE SWEPT BANGS
22. THIN LONG BRAIDED HAIRSTYLE
23. THREE DIFFERENT WAYS TO WEAR CURLS
26. ELEGANT SIDE HAIR TIED BACK IN A BUN
27. BRAIDED UP WEDDING HAIR WITH TIARA
28. MOHAWK STYLE BROWN WAVY HAIRSTYLE FOR AFRICAN GIRLS
29. SHORT BLONDE HAIR FOR A UNIQUE AND DIFFERENT LOOK
30. HALLE BERRY SPORTING HER SIGNATURE SHORT HAIR LOOK
31. SHORT HAIR FOR AFRICAN LADY WITH A BEAUTIFUL EAR PIECE
32. THIN BRAIDS TIED BACK IN AN BEAUTIFUL BUN KNOT
33. SHORT JAW LENGTH COILY WEDDING HAIR
34. ALICIA KEYS BRAIDED HAIRSTYLE
Alicia Keys has sported few of the most interesting hairstyles over the years and can rightfully be called a style icon for black women.
35. A UNIQUE UPDO HAIRSTYLE FOR STRAIGHTENED BLACK HAIR FOR AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN
36. STYLISH UPDO BUN. MIGHT NEED THE HELP OF A STYLIST TO GET RIGHT THOUGH
37. A GOOD CHOICE FOR FORMAL EVENTS WHEN YOU WANT TO LOOK TONED DOWN
38. MIDDLE PARTING YOUR HAIR IS A GREAT CHOICE FOR GIRLS WITH CURLY< COILY AND KINKY HAIR
39. ANOTHER BIG CURLY MIDDLE PARTED HAIR. GLORIOUS
40. PERFECT BRAIDED WEDDING HAIRSTYLES FOR BLACK WOMEN
There are so many choices for black women for their wedding hair, this is one such braided black hairstyle out of them. The side look helps accentuate the accessories and the neckline of the dress so well. Beautiful.
41. HERE ARE 15 BONUS IDEAS WE’VE ADDED TO HELP YOU FIND YOUR NEXT HAIRSTYLE INSPIRATION